Une colonie d'artistes

Décor de la Salle des Chevaliers
Une colonie d'artistes

A partir de 1850, le château de Gruyères accueille une colonie d’artistes sous l’impulsion du peintre Daniel Bovy, dont la famille a acquis le château. A Gruyères, le travail et les rencontres entre artistes, écrivains et musiciens font partie de la vie quotidienne. Daniel convie ses amis, dont le peintre français Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot et le professeur de dessin genevois Barthélemy Menn, et tous participent à la création des nouveaux décors des pièces de la résidence orchestrés par Daniel Bovy. Les somptueux paysages exécutés par Corot et Menn témoignent de cette collaboration artistique dans le salon qui porte aujourd’hui le nom du peintre français.

Avec l’aide de la colonie formée par les nombreux artistes séjournant au château, Daniel Bovy crée notamment sur tout le deuxième étage de nouvelles salles célébrant l’âge d’or des comtes. Le décor de ces pièces, meublées en partie avec du mobilier médiéval, culmine dans la Salle des Chevaliers, dans laquelle l’artiste réinterprète à travers un grand cycle de peintures l’histoire du comté de Gruyère, à travers un récit mêlant hauts faits et légendes. Daniel meurt en 1862 et ne voit pas la fin de ce grand chantier artistique, qui sera néanmoins achevé par ses amis et leurs élèves.

 

 

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire