Salle des Baillis

Décors de la salle des baillis
Salle des Baillis

De 1555 à 1798, une cinquantaine de baillis se sont succédés au château. En témoignage de leur passage, des vitraux et tableaux sont toujours visibles dans cette salle qui est la première de la visite à arborer des décors muraux. Au delà de l'aspect purement décoratif, ils rappelaient à tout visiteur que le château était un haut lieu de pouvoir.

Dans l’ouverture de la première fenêtre, des graffitis sont visibles sur le mur de droite. Au XVIIe siècle, ils pouvaient servir de "livre d'or"  pour les invités. Ici, ce sont vraisemblablement des clercs qui y ont laissé des messages.

Le chauffage dans l'angle de la pièce est un exemple d'aménagement effectué au 18e. Les grandes cheminées médiévales pouvant créer des courants d'air, ce genre de poëles présente plusieurs avantages. Les pierres qui la constituent restituent la chaleur sur une longue période et sa faïence peut être richement décorée. De plus, le remplissage du bois se fait depuis l'autre côté du mur.  Ainsi, les servants peuvent effectuer toute la manutention en restant invisibles du maître des lieux et de ses invités. Ce type de chauffage n'était pas pour autant réservé aux nobles. Toutes les fermes de la région utilisaient ce système et les enfants y grimpaient volontiers pour profiter de sa chaleur.

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire