Salon Corot

Salon Corot
Salon Corot

Avec ce salon, le visiteur entre dans le 19e siècle et découvre ses fastes. C'est en 1849 que la famille Bovy achète le château et le sauve ainsi de la destruction. Ils réunissent des artistes de talent pour réaliser la décoration de ce salon qui porte le nom du célèbre peintre Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. L’artiste français séjourne au château en juin 1852 et 1857 et s’inspire de la luminosité particulière, des motifs pittoresques et d’une nature omniprésente en Gruyère pour les paysages qu’il peint au château.

Pour débuter le décor de ce salon qui suit une mode élégante et bucolique, Daniel Bovy distribue les cadres ovales. Il laisse ensuite Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, Barthélemy Menn, Henri-Gustave Saltzmann, Henri Baron, Francis Furet et le couple Leleux travailler sur les peintures. Un dialogue visuel s’installe entre Corot, qui réalise quatre paysages en médaillon, et Menn, qui en peint deux. Les paysages inscrits dans les médaillons expriment une création spontanée dans laquelle le souvenir émotionnel prime sur la représentation d’un site réel.

Au centre de la pièce, le fauteuil roulant de Daniel Bovy rappelle l'une des motivations de l'achat du château par son frère John. Daniel, élève à Paris du célèbre Ingres, avait une carrière prometteuse devant lui mais un accident dans une tempête de neige dans les alpes le prive de l'usage de ses jambes. Pire encore, ses mains sont aussi touchées. John, souhaitant arracher son frère à la mélancolie qui le ronge, organise l'acquisition du Château de Gruyères et confie à Daniel la mission d'en coordonner la décoration. Ne pouvant pas tout peindre lui-même, Daniel y invite ses amis et donne vie à la colonie artistique.

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire