Salle des Chevaliers

Salle des Chevaliers
Salle des Chevaliers

Aménagée au XIXe siècle, la salle des Chevaliers relate les hauts faits des comtes qui font la gloire de la Gruyère. Le cycle de quatorze panneaux débute avec le mythe fondateur de Gruyères pour prendre fin avec le triomphe du comte Louis et des Confédérés contre Charles le Téméraire à la bataille de Morat. Faits historiques et légendes s'y mélangent allègrement afin de mettre en exergue la bravoure des chevaliers et la piété des nobles.

Cette salle est le grand projet de Daniel Bovy qui en fait les dessins préparatoires. L'exécution est confiée à Henri Baron et Barthélemy Menn, épaulé par ses étudiants, qui ne parviendront au terme des travaux qu’après le décès de Daniel Bovy en 1862. Ces peintures enrichissent avec panache la mémoire régionale et constituent un nouveau lieu de pèlerinage. Cette période est marquée par un intérêt grandissant pour l’époque médiévale et le goût du pittoresque. En 1868 déjà, les premiers guides touristiques invitent les lecteurs à visiter ce lieu de mémoire qui marque l’iconographie de toute une région.

La peinture de cette salle commençant en 1850, les décors de l'époque des baillis sont recouverts mais une trappe aménagée dans l'une des peinture permet d'en voir les vestiges.

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire